Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Homemade Key Chain Tutorial

The season of giving: Gift number 1!


This old $.50 Thrift Store find



Became this!!!


So I have a new love for taking something from the thrift store and transforming it into something pretty!
This idea came to me as I am in a mommy's group and we are doing a Christmas gift exchange. I was trying to think of something to make for her and this came to mind! She is from Canada and loves the color red hence the Canadian maple lead and red ribbon.


 My intention for making this was to be a key chain but once it was finished I thought, it totally works for an ornament or hanging on your little mirror in your car!

This is what you need:
I used an old glasses case you could use anything really! 
An image 
Some pins to pin image on the case
Scissors 
Fabric glue or a glue gun
Needle and thread(preferably thicker)


Here is what I did:


I took the Canada flag and cut it out and it was a little long so I took the glasses case inside out and trimmed the seams and unfolded it and the image fit on it!

I pinned the image on the case.




And ended up with 2 little leafs 

I took my fabric glue and glued them together, I didn't want to use my glue gun but maybe wish I had but I was thinking of my needle going through it and wasn't sure how hard it would be!


Here it is glued together


I took my dollar store hole puncher and punched a hole where I wanted it
(I was amazed it punched through it)


I took some thicker thread and went around the leaf. I also went around the loop hole to prevent it from breaking.
Viola! Super simple but such a great gift! I can not wait to send this baby out. I seriously want to keep it for myself but the feeling of giving something especially something made by Muah  is much more satisfaction :)

6 comments:

Misty @Creative Itch said...

What a great idea!! Thanks for linking @Creative Itch's "Sew Cute Tuesday"!

Anonymous said...

That's wonderful. I love to repurpose also, but I really have to watch myself as I tend to bring in stuff faster than I can work on it. I have to do a "hoarder" type cleaning about once a month -- NO MERCY! If I don't know what I'm going to do with it, then out it goes. Some of it is hard to see leave, but I tend to get overwhelmed with too much stuff to work with. Anyway -- excellent, and thank you for linking to the Boardwalk Bragfest

Betty said...

Hi, I'm visiting from Nifty Thrifty Tuesdays. That's a nice little project. I think I have a worn out purse that needs to be repurposed like that.

Lorie said...

That is such a cute idea! And such a great way to reuse the leather! I would have never thought of that!

Vanessa said...

So clever. By using nice material you've made a polished charm, I love it!

I would love it if you shared this idea on my holiday link share: http://bit.ly/h0FA83 It fits perfectly with my thrift themed blog :)

ashley @ little miss momma said...

I really like this keychain! Such cute and beautiful craftsmanship! You did a great job!